Population 1940: 1,758
School Budget: $22,000
First Selectman: Benjamin Banks
residents having difficulties getting CL&P to furnish
their isolated homes with electricity. Rural electrification
would come in 1930’s.
53, 57 & 58 commissioned. *Access to Redding improving;
The CT Dept.
of Agriculture states that in 1935 agricultural businesses
are occupying 88% of the Town's total area.
1938- The Merritt Parkway stimulating interest in real
estate near the new highway.
May 5, 1940-
Studio Guild of NYC purchases 65 acres on Pickett’s Ridge
for Country Art Center.
Aerial of New Pond
Farm and the northern section of Umpawaug Road
View of the Gilbert
& Bennett Factory and Portland Avenue
Consolidation was completed in Redding during this decade.
This is the Hill Academy, located where the Town House Building
In the 1930's you
could have purchased the Marchant Road Stone House with 30
acres for $25k?! The taxes are more than that now!
enjoying the summer up at Great Pond in Ridgefield
What the Saugatuck
Reservoir used to look like. Aerial from 1934.
Agricultural Businesses are Occupying
88% of the Town's Acreage
is important to highlight because in the 1950's, 60's and
70's these large farms would be targeted as "developments".
Forward thinking and activism on the part of Redding's leaders
in this time frame saved a good portion of Redding's open
space for future generations. Land donations (such as Huntington
State Park and Putnam Park) and watershed acreage played a
key role as well.
of activism that helped preserve the "rural" character of
the town :
Redding Pilot, July 14, 1967:
Williams Farm on Sunset Hill is being cut up into (60) two-acre
lots, with another development looming on its border. Half
a dozen other large holdings are rumored on the verge of development…if
there is no planning beyond the present two-acre lot minimum,
10,000 acres could go into a tangle of subdivisions…the
moment of truth has arrived…the more open space we can save,
the lower our future taxes will be, and the pleasanter the
View Next Decade Redding, Connecticut from 1940-1950
to 1930 - 1940
Back to TOP
| Back to Redding Section | Back
to Georgetown Section