History of Redding Connecticut (CT) Header
Audio Files & Oral History
Books about Redding
Branchville, CT History
Churches in Redding
Churches in Georgetown
Daily History Archives
Donate to the H of R
Early Families of Redding
Early Settlement History
Early Manufacturers
Famous People of Redding
First Telephones in Redding
Flood of 1955
Georgetown, CT History
Georgetown Redevelopment
Gilbert & Bennett History
Hiking Trails in Redding
History of Schools
Huntington Park
Indian Paths thru Redding
Landscape- Farms, Waterways, Geology
Mark Twain in Redding, CT
Little Brick Schoolhouse
Maps of Redding, CT
My brother Sam is dead
News 1966-1992
Old Homes of Redding
Parish History (1729-67)
Pictures of Redding, CT
Putnam Park
RBGC History
Redding Center History
Redding Country Club
Redding Remembered
Redding Ridge History
Summary of Land Use
Wars- Revolutionary, Civil
West Redding History
Sponsors Page
Redding Businesses
Redding Builders
Redding New Construction
Redding Real Estate
Redding Restaurants
Redding Organizations
Redding Town Site
Redding Pilot
Redding Elementary
John Read Middle School
Joel Barlow High School
Region 9 Schools
RBGC Web site
Redding Fire & EMS #1
Mark Twain Library
League of Women Voters
Redding Neighbors & Newcomers
About the Designer
Contact Us

Wedding Planning Professionals right here in Redding CT


Are you looking for a:

Antiques and Fine Art?

How about an Antiques
who consults
on Room Design and

Barbara Evans of
Evans & Co. Antiques
is who I'd suggest you
call. Barbara has 40
years' experience in the
art world, including work
at Sotheby's and Philips
auctioneers and the
Whitney Museum.

Specializing in European
and works of
art, Evans & Co. has been
in business since 1980.


The Early Families of Redding Connecticut (CT)

Quick Links:
Adams, Banks, Barlow, Bartlett, Bartram, Bates, Beach, Benedict, Betts, Burr, Burritt, Burton, Chatfield, Couch, Darling, Fairchild, Foster, Gilbert, Gold, Gorham, Gray, Griffin, Hall, Hawley, Heron, Hill, Hull, Jackson, Lee, Lord, Lyon, Mallory, Meade, Meeker, Merchant, Morehouse, Perry, Platt, Read, Rogers, Rumsey, Sanford, Smith, Stowe

Pre-1800 Gravestones of Redding

Names appearing on a 1867 Beers Map of Redding, CT

Genealogy/Family History Advice

New: What is available at the Mark Twain Library

The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records. Volume 36: Portland (1841-1850), Prospect (1827-1853), Redding (1767-1852), and Ridgefield (1709-1850)


Joseph Adams removed when a young man from Boston to Fairfield, and married, soon after, Joanna Disbrow, of Fairfield.

About 1760 he removed to Redding, and settled in Lonetown, on the farm now(1880) owned by his grandson Stephen.

His children were: Stephen, baptized August 15, 1762. Hezekiah, baptized September 30, 1764. Ellen, baptized November 10, 1765. Abigail, baptized March 6, 1768. Joseph, baptized April 28, 1771. Israel, baptized January 10, 1773. Aaron, baptized July 16, 1775. Nathan, baptized September 6, 1778.

Of these children, Stephen enlisted in the Continental Army and never returned. Hezekiah married Betty Parsons, and had children: Betsey, who married John Grey, and settled in Norwalk; Stephen, now(1880) living in Redding, at the age of eighty-nine; Lemuel, now(1880) living in Redding, aged eighty-six; Aaron, who removed to the West; and Elinor, who married Hawley Judd. It is related of Hezekiah Adams, that, too young to enlist as a soldier in the Revolutionary Army, he entered the service as a teamster, and on one occasion drove a wagon, loaded with Spanish milled dollars, to Baltimore.

Abraham Adams, brother of Joseph, was contemporary with him in Redding. His wife was Sarah. Their children were: Ann, baptized March 6, 1768. Deborah, baptized April 28, 1771. Sarah, baptized July 31, 1774; died in infancy. Sarah, baptized October 20, 1776. Eli, baptized January 30, 1780. Family record mentions a son Abraham.


Jesse Banks, son of Joseph Banks, of Fairfield, removed to Redding at an early day; married, June 11, 1763, Mabel Wheeler (town record says Mehitable Wheeler). Their children were: Hyatt, born December 9, 1764. Jesse, born October 29, 1766. Joanna, born July 27, 1768. Mabel, born October 2, 1772; died in infancy. Mary, born June 23, 1774. Mabel, born November 17, 1776.

Jesse married, December 15, 1787, Martha Summers. Mabel married Ebenezer Foot, August 29, 1797. Seth Banks also appears in Redding contemporary with Jesse; married Sarah Pickett, November 20, 1766, and had children: Mehitable, born January 15, 1768, and Thomas; and perhaps others.


The Barlow family in Redding is descended from John Barlow, who appears in Fairfield as early as 1668, and died in 1674. Samuel Barlow, son of Samuel Barlow, of Fairfield, grandson of John Barlow, he a son of the first settler of that name, removed to Redding about 1740, and settled in what is now Boston District, near the present residence of Bradley Hill (to the right of Dorethy Road before Wayside Lane if you are coming from Georgetown on 107).

He married, first, Eunice, daughter of Daniel Bradley, of Fairfield, August 2, 1731. Their children were: Daniel, born November 24, 1734. Ruhamah, born January 22, 1737. James, born January 29, 1739. Jabez, born March 21, 1742.

After the death of his first wife, Samuel Barlow married Esther, daughter of Nathaniel Hull, of Redding, August 7, 1744. She died August 28, 1775, aged fifty-four years. Their children were: Nathaniel, born May 13, 1745. Aaron, born February 11, 1750. Joel, the poet, born March 24, 1754. Huldah, birth date unknown.

Mr. Samuel Barlow purchased his farm of James Bradley for L 2500. It consisted of 170 acres, with "buildings thereon", and was bounded on the north by the first cross highway from the rear of the long lots-without a doubt the road before mentioned leading from Boston District through the centre to Redding Ridge. "This northern boundary," says Mr. Hill, "together with the familiar names of the old owners of property on the other side of the farm, and also the names of such familiar localities on the farm as "the boggs", and the "flat ridge", and the "up and down", leading to each from the main road, mark this farm purchased by Samuel Barlow as being unmistakably the present property of Bradley Hill, and the heirs of Gershom Hill.

There was on it at the time a good substantial dwelling house of respectable, erected by a previous owner, and which stood about four hundred feet west of the present residence of Bradley Hill, on the same side of the street. The house was demolished in 1823.

Having purchased this property January 2, 1749, he undoubtedly located his family on it the following spring, as in subsequent deeds he is recognized as a resident of the "Parish of Reading." It was here that Aaron, Samuel, Joel, and Huldah were born. It was here he lived, and died, and from here he was buried in the old cemetery west of the Congregational Church in Redding Centre."

Of the children of Samuel Barlow, Daniel and Ruhamah died early. James settled in Ridgefield, on a farm of 130 acres conveyed to him by his father March 30, 1770. He had four children: Samuel, who removed to the South; Louis, Abigail, and James, who settled in Vermont. Jabez, the youngest son by the first wife, settled in Ohio.

Nathaniel Barlow married Jane Bradley, who was born May, 1744. Their children were: Gershom, born October 21, 1765; died of consumption September 24, 1794. Esther, born September 30, 1767; a deaf-mute; died May 10, 1783. Sarah, born January 16, 1770; died April 11, 1845. Jonathan, born April 14, 1772; died August 28, 1775. Betsey, born August 2, 1778; died September 9, 1864. Huldah, born April 3, 1780; a deaf-mute; died August 29, 1787. Mr. Nathaniel Barlow died December 26, 1782.

Life and letters of Joel Barlow, LL.D., poet, statesman, philosopher, with extracts from his works and hitherto unpublished poems by Charles Burr Todd

Aaron Barlow settled in Redding, on Umpawaug Hill, on a farm purchased by his father several years before. He was a man of ability, tall, and of imposing bearing, and served in the capacity of a colonel in the Revolution. He removed to Norfolk, Va. and died there of yellow-fever. His children were: Elnathan, who died young. Elnathan, died in the war of 1812. Samuel, removed to Ohio. Stephen, was a lawyer in Ohio. Daniel, lived and died in Redding. Aaron, died at sea. Esther, died at Norfolk, of yellow-fever. Joel, died in Redding. Rebecca, lived and died in Redding. Thomas, called after Thomas Paine by his uncle Joel.

Thomas was educated and adopted by his uncle, the poet, and accompanied him to France as his private secretary. He was also his companion on the fatal journey to Wilna. After the death of his uncle, Thomas returned to America and established himself as a lawyer in Pittsburg, Pa. and died there.

Samuel Barlow, the third son by the second wife, was a soldier in the Revolutionary Army, and died at Rhinebeck, NY. on his return from the expedition against Ticonderoga. A stone to his memory was erected in the old cemetery in Redding, near the Congregational Church, and which is still standing.


Rev. Nathaniel Bartlett, second pastor of the Congregational Church in Redding, became a resident in 1753, and so remained until his death in 1810. He married, June 13, 1753, Mrs. Eunice Russell, of Branford, Conn. Their children were: Russel, baptized June 9, 1754. Daniel C., baptized January 16, 1757. Anne, February 25, 1759. Eunice, April 26, 1761. Jonathan, October 14, 1764. Lucretia, March 27, 1768.

Russell married, February 28, 1776, Rachel Taylor, and had children: Claire, baptized March 30, 1777, and Flora, baptized August 29, 1779. Daniel C. married Esther Read January 7, 1778, and settled in Amenia, N.Y., where some of his descendants now reside. Rev. Jonathan married, first, Roda, daughter of Lemuel Sanford. He had no children.

Also, see the extended Bartlett family lineage.


David Bartram removed from Fairfield to Redding as early as 1733, in which year he appears as surveyor of highways. He was a farmer, and settled in Lonetown. He had five sons and three daughters born in Fairfield, viz., David, Paul, James; Daniel, born October 23, 1745; John, Mabel, Hannah, and Betsey. All the sons settled in Redding.

David married, April 30, 1762, Phebe Morehouse, by whom he had Joel, David, John, Jonathan, Hulda, Hepsy, and Phebe. Paul married, September 19, 1756, Mary Hawley. Their children were: Joseph, born January 28, 1758; died in infancy. Mary, born May 12, 1760. Sarah, born August 6, 1762. Eunice, born January 3, 1765. Eli, born March 30, 1767. Ruth, born January 7, 1769. Ezekiel, born July 9, 1770. Ezra, baptized May 9, 1773. Joseph, baptized March 10, 1776. Family record mentions a daughter Olive.

Of these children, Mary married Jabez Burr, and removed to Clarendon, VT. Sarah married Milo Palmer, and removed to the same place. Eunice married Daniel Parsons, of Redding. Eli married Dolly Lyon, of Redding; and about 1804 removed to Delaware Co., N.Y. His children were William, Belinda, Phebe, and Lodema. Ezekiel married Esther, daughter of Jonathan Parsons, of Redding. Their children were: Mary, Jared, Milo, Clarissa, Elizabeth, Jehu, Sarah, Elias, Ezra, Phebe, and Noah. One of his sons, Jehu, studied law and rose to eminence in the profession; was judge, representative and senator. Ezekiel moved to Ohio at an early day, and settled in Marion, where he resided until his death, March 15, 1845. Ezra was a sailor; married Elinor, daughter of Chauncey Merchant, of Redding, and quitting the sea, removed to Delaware Co., N.Y., where he died shortly after, leaving children-Joel M., Ezra, Uriah, and Lucy. Joseph removed first to Vermont, and afterward to Tioga Co., N.Y. Olive married Justus Stillson, of Redding, and removed to Groton, N.Y.

James Bartram, son of David, settled in Redding. Was a private in the Revolution. Married Hannah Morehouse, who became the mother of twenty-one children, ten only of whom survived. These were: Isaac, born April 15, 1758. Noah, born 1760. James, born 1770. Aaron, born February 21, 1784. Lucy, Hannah, Betsey, Irene, and Anna.

Of these children, Isaac settled in Redding; married Molly Hamilton, by whom he had seven children-Isaac, Harry, David, Willis, Chasie, Lucy, Polly, and Huldah. Aaron also settled in Redding, married Eunice Jenkins, and raised a large family of children.

Daniel, fourth son of David, also settled in Redding, was a tanner and currier by trade, and built the first works of the kind in the town, on the ground now occupied by Walter M. Edmonds for same purpose( On the 107 side of Gallows Hill). He married, October 10, 1768, Ann Merchant, of Redding. There children were: Esther, born April 16, 1770. Gurdon, born October 25, 1771; died in infancy. Elinor, born March 1, 1774; died in infancy. Gurdon, born September 21, 1776. Anna, born August 10, 1778; married a Mead; settled in Ridgefield. Elinor, born February 4, 1780; died in infancy. Uriah, born January 9, 1782. Elinor, born October 28, 1783; married a Nash; settled in Marion. Julilla, born November 12, 1785; married a Bangs; settled in Central N.Y. Levi, born November 26, 1787. Phebe, born September 19, 1790; married a Curtin. David, born June 5, 1795.

At the time of Tryon's invasion, with nearly every other man in the town capable of bearing arms, Daniel Bartram joined the militia and marched to the defense of Danbury. Being absent several days, he sent word to his wife that she must get some one to take the hides from the vats or they would spoil. There was not a man to be found; and so the brave woman, leaving her four small children to amuse one another, caught her horse, hitched him to the bark mill, ground the bark, took the hides out, turned and repacked them and had just seated herself at the dinner-table when her husband rode up, having gained leave of absence for the purpose of attending to the matter.

On the 3rd of May, 1810, Daniel Bartram left Redding, accompanied by his wife, his four children, Uriah, Levi, Phebe, and David, and several of his neighbors, for what was then the wilderness of Ohio. They arrived in Madison, Lake Co., Ohio, on the 10th of June, where they settled, and where many of their descendants now reside. Daniel Bartram died in Madison, May 17, 1817. His widow died August 3, 1835.

Gurdon Bartram, the eldest of Daniel, remained in Redding. He married, January 1, 1804, Lorraine, daughter of Oliver Sanford, of Redding. Their children were: Aaron R., Lucy A., Barney, Coley, Betsey, Oliver, Daniel S., Ephraim, Levi, Fredrick, Mary, and Julia. Gurdon Bartram died April 12, 1845, at the old homestead now occupied by his grandson David.

Uriah, second son of Daniel, settled in Madison, Ohio, where he died quite suddenly of heart-disease, June 28, 1830, leaving a wife and six children.

Levi, third son of Daniel, settled in Madison, Ohio; married, June 17, 1813, Betsey Nott Walker, who was born in Ashford, Conn., April 29, 1790. Mr. Bartram died of heart-disease May 12, 1857, leaving a family of five children. His widow died June 13, 1863.

David, fourth son of Daniel, also settled in Madison, and subsequently removed to Trumbull, Ashtabula Co., Ohio. He married, March 12, 1818, Elizabeth Gregory, formerly of Harpersfield, N.Y. They had six children. Mr. Bartram died of heart-disease September 2, 1875.

John Bartram, son of David the first, married, September 19, 1756, Charity Bulkley. Family record mentions two children, Sally and Samuel.


Elias Bates was received to church-membership in Redding, January 19, 1745. His wife, Sarah, March 4, 1748. There is no hint of his previous residence, and he probably came here direct from England.

His children recorded in Redding were: Justus, baptized July 26, 1747; and Sarah, baptized February 2, 1752; by a second wife, Tabitha-Walker, baptized January 6, 1760; Elias, baptized February 16, 1761, died in infancy.

John Bates, probably son of Elias, married Esther (last name unknown). Their children were: Ezra, baptized July 25, 1762; Sarah, baptized May 5, 1764; Esther, baptized August 23, 1767; Nathan, baptized March 25, 1770; Aaron, baptized July 1, 1772; Martha and Slawson, January 26, 1778.

Justus Bates, son of Elias, married Hannah Coley, May 23, 1770. They had one child, Elias, baptized October 4, 1772, who married, November 9, 1793, Lydia Andrews, of Redding, and was the father of three children: Walker, born June 4, 1796; Amaziah, born May 17, 1801; and Harriet, born May 21, 1804.


John Beach, missionary of the Church of England in Redding, was born in Stratford, Conn., October 6, 1700. His father was Isaac Beach, son of John Beach who came from England in 1643. He graduated from Yale College in 1721. He married, first, Sarah (last name unknown), who died in 1756; and second, Abigail Holbrook, who after his death returned to Derby.

He had in all nine children. Those who had families were: Joseph, born September 26, 1727; Phebe, born 1729, married Daniel Hill of Redding, died in 1751, leaving son Abel. John born 1734, married Phebe Curtis, died in 1791. Lazarus, born 1736, had two children, viz. Lazarus, born 1760, and Isaac, born 1773.

Lazarus inherited his father's land in Redding, at Hopewell, near which he built his house. Lazarus Beach, Jr., was of a literary turn, and edited a paper at Bridgeport, and afterward at Washington, D.C. On his journey to the latter place he lost his trunk or valise, containing the Beach manuscripts, and all his materials gathered for the purpose of writing a memoir of his distinguished grandfather. He built his house now standing near Mr. Godfrey's(Chestnut Woods near the bethel line). Isaac Beach built the house now occupied by Hull B. Bradley.

The Rev. John Beach lived about thirty to forty rods south of the church, probably on the site of the old Captain Munger house, which has long since disappeared. The well is still used by Mr. E.P. Shaw. Lucy, daughter of the Rev. John Beach, married Rev. Mr. Townsend, and was lost at sea on her passage to Nova Scotia, probably at the time of the great exodus of Loyalists after the Revolution. The mother of James Sanford, Sen., was the daughter of Lazarus and great-granddaughter of Rev. John Beach.


The Benedicts were a Norwalk family and settled quite largely in Ridgefield. The first of the name whom I find in Redding was Thaddeus Benedict, who was a lawyer and town-clerk for a term of years. His house stood in the lot adjoining the Congregational parsonage, near the site of the present residence of Joseph Squire. His law office was under the great elm in front of his house. He married Deborah Read, July 12, 1775, daughter of Colonel John Read, who bore his several children.


Lieutenant Stephen Betts, a prominent character in the Revolution, lived on Redding Ridge, in a house that stood on the corner, nearly opposite the former residence of Francis A. Sanford. He was an active Whig, and was taken prisoner by the British on their march to Danbury in 1777. He had a son Daniel, and two or three daughters, of whom I have no record. His son Daniel was a merchant for a while on Redding Ridge and then removed to New Haven, where some of his children are now living.


Among the earliest settlers of Redding were Jehu, Stephen, and Peter Burr, sons of Daniel Burr, of Fairfield, and brothers of the Rev. Aaron Burr, President of Princeton College. They all appear at about the same time, viz. 1730. In October of that year Stephen Burr was elected a member of the first Society Committee of the parish. He married Elizabeth Hull, June 8th, 1721. Children: Grace, born December 12th, 1724. Elizabeth, born January 17th, 1728. Hezekiah, born September 1st, 1730. Sarah, born November 9th, 1732. Martha, born March 24th, 1735. Esther, born February 5th, 1743. Rebecca.

He married, second, Abigail Hall, of New Jersey. He lived in a house that stood where Dr. Gorham later built his residence. His only son, Hezekiah, died December, 1785, unmarried. Of the daughters, Grace married Daniel Gold, Elizabeth married Reuben Squire, Sarah married Joseph Jackson, Martha married Zacariah Summers. Esther married Anthony Angevine, and Rebecca married Seth Sanford. Deacon Stephen Burr died in 1779. Of him Colonel Aaron Burr wrote in his journal in Paris: "My uncle Stephen lived on milk punch, and at the age of eighty-six mounted by the stirrup a very gay horse, and galloped off with me twelve miles without stopping, and was I thought less fatigued than I."

Peter Burr first appears in Redding as a clerk of a society meeting held October 11th, 1730. His children were: Ellen, baptized September 19, 1734. Sarah, baptized February 21st, 1736. Ezra, baptized January 2d, 1737. Edmund, baptized September 28th, 1761. Peter Burr died in August, 1779. His children shortly after removed to Virginia.

Jehu Burr and wife were admitted to church membership in Redding, December 24th, 1738. None of his children were recorded in Redding, and none, so far as known, settled there. He owned property in Fairfield, and probably spent the last years of his life there.

Jabez Burr, son of Joseph Burr, of Fairfield, and his wife Elizabeth, appear in Redding as early as 1743. Their children were Elijah, baptized May 15th, 1743. Nathan, born January 1st, 1745. Jabez, birth date unknown, Ezekiel, born March 23rd, 1755. Stephen, born January 16th, 1757. Joel, born September 9th, 1759. Eunice, Huldah, and Hannah. Jabez Burr died in 1770. He is said to have settled in the Saugatuck Valley, near the present residence of Stephen Burr, and to have built there the first grist mill in the town.

Of his children, Elijah married Roda Sanford, April 2d, 1767, and had children-Lemuel and Elizabeth; and by a second wife-Eunice Hawley, married April 27th, 1773-Joseph, Roda, John(who died of yellow fever in the West Indies), and Lucy, who married Jonathan Knapp, of Redding. Nathan, the second son, removed to Pawlings, Duchess Co., N.Y., in 1792, and there founded a numerous and wealthy family. Jabez, the third son, married Mary, daughter of Paul Bartram, and removed to Clarendon, VT., in 1786. He had one son, Aaron. Ezekiel, married Huldah Merchant, of Redding, who bore him three children: Aaron, who lived and died in the house now owned by Captain Davis; William, who removed to Kentucky in 1816; and Huldah, who married Daniel Mallory in 1806, and removed to the West.

A son of William Burr is now President of the St. Louis National Bank. Another son, George, a teller in the same institution, was the companion of Prof. Wise in his late fatal balloon expedition, and shared the fate of the aeronaut. Stephen Burr married Mary Griffin, of Redding. his children were: Clara, Mary, Stephen, and Ezekiel. Joel Burr married Elizabeth Gold and settled in Ballston Springs, N.Y.


William Burritt and wife were admitted members of the church December 9th, 1739. No hint of their previous residence is given. Their children recorded at Redding were: Mary, baptized December 16th, 1739. Abijah, January 18th, 1741. Roda, October 24th, 1742. Sybil, February 19th, 1744.

Gershom Burritt appears at the same time. His son Solomon was baptized August 5th, 1739. Noah, January 31st, 1742. Nathaniel, October 17th, 1743. Isaac, July 21st, 1745.


Benjamin, son of Solomon Burton, baptized December 19th, 1742. Ruth, daughter, baptized October 7th, 1744. Solomon Burton and wife, church members July 5th, 1741.


Samuel Chatfield and wife were admitted church members July 29th, 1733. Their children recorded were: Samuel, baptized July 29th, 1733. Daniel, baptized August 31st, 1735. Sarah, April 17th, 1737. Martha, baptized May 20th, 1739.


Captain Samuel Couch, of Fairfield, was one of the largest landholders in Redding at one time, and was largely instrumental in its settlement. He was, however, never a resident here. Ebenezer Couch appears here as early as 1739. His children recorded were: Daniel, Baptized July 29th, 1739. Adea, baptized September 19th, 1742. Elijah, baptized July 26th, 1747. Thesde, January 26th, 1755.

The following children of John Couch and his wife Elizabeth are recorded: John, baptized March 20th, 1748. Stephen, baptized January 21st, 1753. Adria, baptized April 20th, 1755. Elizabeth, baptized July 17th, 1757. Samuel, baptized August 30th, 1758.

At an early day, nearly the entire district of Couch's Hill was purchased by Mr. Simon Couch, of Fairfield, who gave his name to the district purchased. His wife was Abigail Hall, a member of a notable Fairfield family. His will, dated March 2nd, 1712-13, is still in the possession of Mr. Nash Couch, of Couch's Hill, who is a lineal descendant. In this will he gives his "Negro man Jack" and "Negro maid Jinne" to his wife, in addition to other bequests.

His children mentioned in the will were: Simon, Jr. Thomas, Abigail, Hannah, Sarah, Isabel, and Deborah. Thomas was lost at sea while on a voyage to England. Simon settled on his father's estate in Redding; married January 27th, 1753, Rebecca, daughter of Captain Thomas Nash, of Fairfield. Their children, as given in the genealogy of the Nash family, were: Abigail, baptized February 10th, 1754; died young. Simon, born May 18th, 1755; settled at Green's Farms. Thomas Nash, born April 18th, 1758; settled in Redding. Rebecca, born January 31st, 1761. Abigail, baptized January 27th, 1765. Lydia, born October 20th, 1767. Deacon Simon Couch died April 25th, 1809.

Thomas Couch, of Fairfield, removed to Redding prior to the Revolution, and settled on Umpawaug Hill. He married, April 2nd, 1772, Sarah, daughter of Jonathan Nash, of Fairfield. Their children were: Sarah, born August 9th, 1773; died young. Thomas, born September 23rd, 1774. Jonathan, born February 13th, 1777, who was the father of Major-General Couch, distinguished in the War of the Rebellion. Sarah, born September 18th, 1779. Nathan, born September 25th, 1781. Esther, born December 14th, 1783. Moses, born October 2nd, 1786. Edward, born March 7th, 1789. Hezekiah, born March 14th, 1791. Mary, born April 21st, 1793. John, born July 28th, 1795. Mr. Thomas Couch died in Redding in 1817.

At the outbreak of the Revolution Thomas Couch enlisted in the patriot army, and was one of the band of heroes who were present with Montgomery at the siege of Quebec. He left his wife with their young children in Fairfield. When Tryon moved on that town, Mrs. Couch had what furniture and grain she could gather put into an ox cart drawn by two yoke of oxen, and started for Redding, where she owned land in her own right. She followed on horseback, carrying her two children in her arms. At the close of the war, Thomas joined his wife in Redding, where they continued to reside until death.

Simon Couch, brother of Thomas, settled in Redding, on Umpawaug Hill, about the same time. He married, January 7th, 1776, Eleanor, daughter of Jonathan Nash, of Fairfield. Their children were: Elizabeth, born October 9th, 1776. Jessup, born August 3rd, 1778. Seth, born August 31st, 1780. Eleanor, born August 26th, 1782. Simon, born December 1st, 1784. Nash, born April 23rd, 1787. Priscilla, born June 27th, 1790. Edward, born July 14th, 1792. Simon A., born December 6th, 1794. Caroline, born June 23rd, 1801. Simon Couch died April 16th, 1829. Of the children, Simon and Jessup graduated at Yale College. Jessup graduated in 1802, and in 1804 removed to Chillicothe, Ohio, where he practiced law until his appointment as Judge of the Superior Court of Ohio in 1815. This office he continued to hold until his death in 1821. In the War of 1812 he was also aide-de-camp to Governor Meigs, of Ohio, and bearer of dispatches to General Hull.

Simon Couch, his brother, settled at Marion, Ohio, where he practiced medicine until his death in 1826.


Eunice, daughter of Joseph Darling, baptized January 25th, 1736. Benjamin, baptized April 13th, 1738. Martha, January 11th, 1741. Joseph, baptized November, 1743.


Thomas Fairchild removed to Redding from Norwalk in 1733; was one of the original members of the church. His wife Mary was admitted January 29th, 1738. Their children recorded were: Timothy and William, baptized October 23rd, 1738. Sarah, April 12th, 1741. Abijah, May 27th, 1744. Mary, October 27th, 1745. 

Abraham Fairchild, probably brother of above, came from Norwalk in 1746, and built the first fulling-mill in the town, near the site later occupied by Deacon Foster's wollen-mill. His wife Sarah Scribner of Norwalk. Their children were: Abraham, born January 1st, 1745; died aged 17 years old. Ezekiel, born October 26th, 1746. Daniel, born December 26th, 1748. Isacc, born March 4th, 1751. David, born June 5th, 1753. Samuel, born July 9th, 1755. Stephen, born March 7th, 1758. Rachel, born February 2nd, 1761. John, born March 15th, 1764. Ellen, born October 16th, 1767. Six of these brothers were in the Revolutionary army at one time. David was captured by the British, and confined in Trinity Church, New York. The small-pox was communicated to the prisoners-it is said with design, and he with many others died of the disease. Stephen was wounded at Ridgefield, but recovered: married Lizzie Fitch, of Wilton. Their children were: Daniel, Kier, Isaac, Ellen, and Stephen. Ezekiel married Eunice Andrews: had four children, Abraham, Sarah, Abigail, and Burr. Daniel married Betsy Mead, and removed to the West. Isaac married Rachel Banks, and removed to Liberty, N.Y. Samuel married Nabbie Platt, of Redding, and had two children, Aaron and Betsy. John married Abigail Wakeman, of Weston. Their children were: Eli, William, David, Rachel, Moses, Henry, and Eliza. David married Charlotte Guyer, of Weston. Their children were: Eli, William, David, Mary, and John. Rachel married Seth Andrews, of Redding. Ellen married Minott Thomas, a Baptist clergyman.

Stephen, Samuel, and John built a grist mill at an early day on the site of the one later known as Treadwell's mill. It was carried off by the great freshet of 1807, and the large stock of grain it contained was scattered over the meadows below. They also owned a saw-mill just below, and sawed plank for the soldiers' huts in the Revolution.


Reginald Foster, the founder of the family in America, came to this country in 1638 with his five sons, Abraham, Reginald, William, Isaac, and Jacob, and settled at Ipswitch, Essex Co., Mass. Jacob Foster was the ancestor of the Redding family. Jonah Foster settled in Redding about 1775; married Hannah Benedict, of Ridgefield, and shortly after removed to that town., and there resided until his death in 1815. His son, Joel Foster, was born in Redding November 8th, 1780, and lived in Ridgefield with his parents until his marriage with Esther Seymour in 1802. In 1803 he removed to Redding, and bought of Moses Fox a small place, on which was a fulling-mill and other conveniences for cheapening cloths. This mill stood a little below the present bridge over Nobb's Crook bridge, and the ruins of its dam are still to be seen. In 1804, Mr. Foster built an addition to his fulling-mill building, which was leased to Zalmon Toucey, of Newtown, and in which Toucey erected a carding machine, paying a yearly rent of twenty dollars.

How long Mr. Toucey's lease continued is not known, but he probably soon relinquished it to Joel Foster, as the latter continued the business until about the time of the opening of the War of 1812, when a company was formed, styled Comstock, Foster & Co., who built a woollen factory a few rods below the old fulling-mill, and continued the manufacture of woolen goods during the entire period of the war, being very successful. The company, a few years after the war, was bought out by Joel Foster, who continued the business until the burning of his factory in 1843 or 1844, when he retired. Mr. Foster died in 1854, aged Seventy-four years. He had four children, all born in Redding: Daniel, Betsy, Eliza, and Charles F.


1st Generation: Benjamin Gilbert was born April 14, 1790, and died April 5, 1847. He married Charlotte Birchard in 1809 (Source: LDS Website.), daughter of Daniel Burchard. She was born 1794, and died January 31, 1872.

More About Benjamin Gilbert: Founder of G&B Wire Manufacturing Co. (see G&B Histories) Burial: Branchville

Children of Benjamin Gilbert and Charlotte Birchard are: Charlotte Gilbert, born February 8, 1812; died May 9, 1847. William J. Gilbert, born April 14, 1814 in Weston, Fairfield County,. Conn; died May 11, 1884. Angeline Gilbert, born Abt. 1818. She married Isaac Weed. Edwin Gilbert, born Abt. 1822; died 1906. He married Elizabeth Jones October 26, 1846; born Abt. 1825. More About Edwin Gilbert: Occupation: 1880, Treasurer Of The Georgetown Manuf. Co., later served as President until his death (see G&B Histories). Mary Gilbert, born Abt. 1826; died April 2, 1860 in Redding, Fairfield County,. Conn. Louisa Gilbert, born Abt. 1832; died July 19, 1879. Elizabeth Gilbert, born Abt. 1836. Sylvester Gilbert, born Abt. 1838.

2nd Generation: Charlotte Gilbert was born February 8, 1812, and died May 9, 1847 (Source: LDS Website.). She married Sturges Bennett 1830, son of Elias Bennett and Mary Perry. He was born 1805 in Redding, Fairfield County,. Conn, and died May 30, 1880. Burial: Branchville Cemetery, Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Conn.

Children of Charlotte Gilbert and Sturges Bennett are: Sturges Bennett, born 1835; died April 26, 1836. Adele Bennett, born 1838; died March 11, 1843. Adele Bennett, born 1843; died June 27, 1843. Eli Gilbert Bennett, born February 2, 1831 in Georgetown, Fairfield County, Conn; died July 12, 1920 in Brooklyn, New York.

William J. Gilbert was born April 14, 1814 in Redding, Fairfield County,. Conn, and died May 11, 1884. He married Harriet Augusta Howe, daughter of George C. Howe. She was born Abt. 1835 in NY, and died August 8, 1892. More About William J. Gilbert: Occupation: 1880, Initially sales agent for Georgetown Man'F. Co., would serve as President until his death.

Children of William Gilbert and Harriet Howe are: Benjamin Howe Gilbert, born April 18, 1863. George C. Gilbert, born August 27, 1865. William H. Gilbert, born June 1, 1867. Elizabeth G. Gilbert, born July 3, 1869. She married Walter C Townsend. 18 v. Hester Gilbert, born Abt. 1872.

Edwin Gilbert, born Abt. 1822; died 1906. He married Elizabeth Jones October 26, 1846; born Abt. 1825, died 1910. Notes: 1880, Treasurer Of The Georgetown Manuf. Co., later served as President until his death (see G&B Histories). Gilbert Farm, Gilbert Memorial Church.

Mary Gilbert was born Abt. 1826, and died April 2, 1860 in Redding, Fairfield County,. Conn. She married Edmond Ogden Hurlbutt September 15, 1842 in Redding, Fairfield County, Conn, son of John Hurlbutt and Elizabeth Ogden. He was born December 9, 1811 in Wilton, Fairfield County, Conn, and died November 21, 1903.

Children of Mary Gilbert and Edmond Hurlbutt are: Edmond Oscar Hurlbutt, born December 1842; died August 18, 1843. Edmond Oscar Hurlbutt, born November 14, 1843 in Redding, Fairfield County,. Conn. Infant Son Hurlbutt, born Abt. 1851; died April 13, 1851. Mary Adelle Hurlbutt, born November 14, 1851; died Aft. 1933. She married Orrin Sydney Starr January 19, 1870; born August 3, 1846 in Bethel, Fairfield County, Conn. Charlotte A. Hurlbutt, born March 17, 1858; died October 9, 1920. She married C. Addison Northrup; born March 21, 1850; died September 19, 1931.

Louisa Gilbert was born Abt. 1832, and died July 19, 1879. She married William Woolsey Beers December 21, 1859 in Redding, Fairfield, son of Lewis Beers and Rhoda Gregory. He was born September 11, 1821 in Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Conn, and died 1879.

Children of Louisa Gilbert and William Beers are: Louis Gilbert3 Beers, born 1862. He married Sarah McKim Yardley June 7, 1904. Mary Louise Beers, born 1866 in Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Conn; died 1945 in Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Conn. She married Russell Walter Lowe August 12, 1891.

Generation 3: Eli Gilbert Bennett was born February 2, 1831 in Georgetown, Fairfield County, Conn, and died July 12, 1920 in Brooklyn, New York. He married Mary Esther Birchard May 4, 1859. She died February 23, 1906 in Brooklyn, New York.

Notes for Eli Gilbert Bennett: *Bennett, Eli Gilbert. S. of Sturges and Charlotte (Gilbert), b. Georgetown, Conn., F. 2, 1831. M. A., A. C., 1858. Delta Upsilon. Prepared with Henry Lobdell, Danbury, Conn. Clerk Gilbert and Bennett Manufacturing Co., Georgetown, Conn., 1855-60; merchant Georgetown, Conn., 1860-81; bookkeeper Gilbert and Bennett Manufacturing Co., N. Y. City, 1881-1903; r. Brooklyn, N. Y., 1903-20. D. Brooklyn, N. Y., Jy. 12, 1920. Married May 4, 1859, Mary Esther, da. of Edward Birchard, Wilton, Conn., who d. Brooklyn, N. Y., F. 23, 1906.

Children of Eli Bennett and Mary Birchard are: Eli S. Bennett. Edwin B. Bennett. Charles Bennett. Mary E. Bennett. Unknown Bennett. She married Isaac D. Hurlbutt.

Benjamin Howe Gilbert was born April 18, 1863. He married Sarah L. Renaud October 3, 1886 in Wilton, Fairfield County, Conn. Notes for Benjamin Howe Gilbert: member of Deland and Gilbert Toilet Soap company in Branchville, Conn

Children of Benjamin Gilbert and Sarah Renaud are: Grace Gilbert. Charlotte Gilbert, born Abt. 1889. Edwin Gilbert. Ruth Gilbert. Naomi Gilbert.


Daniel, Samuel, and Stephen Gold (now written Gould), brothers, members of a Fairfield family that had been prominent in church and state for several generations, were among the early settlers of the town, though none of their descendants are now found among us. Daniel appears first: he married Grace, daughter of Deacon Stephen Burr, and lived where James Lord now lives. His children, as named in the will of Deacon Burr, were: Abigail, who married Richard Nichols. Esther, who married Nathaniel Northrop. Sarah, who married David Turney. Mary, who married Seth Price; and Elizabeth.

Samuel Gold settled in Lonetown, and built the house now owned by Seth Todd. He was a soldier in the Revolution, and was wounded at the skirmish in Ridgefield. Some of the officers of Putnam's commnd had their quarters at Mr. Gold's during their encampment in Redding. Their children were: Hezekiah, Daniel, Burr, Aaron, Sarah, Polly, and Grace. Stephen Gold settled on the farm later owned by Timothy Platt in Lonetown. He is called captain in the records. He did not long remian a resident of Redding, but returned, it is said to Greenfield.


Isaac Gorham and his wife Ann first appear on the parish records January 25th, 1762, when their son Isaac was baptized. There is no hint of thier former residence but they were probably from Fairfield. I find no further record of their children.

More on the Gorham Family here.


Daniel Gray and wife were admitted church-members December 5th, 1742. John Gray and wife February 9th, 1744, on the recommendation of Rev. Mr. Dickinson, of Norwalk.

The only child of Daniel Gray recorded was James, baptized May 8th, 1743. The children of John Gray were: Hannah, baptized July 1st, 1744. Joseph, baptized July 15th, 1753. Eunice, baptized January 2nd, 1755, and (by a second wife, Ruamah) Eunice, baptized April 13th, 1760; and Joel, September 11th, 1763.

Stephen, son of Stephen and Sarah Gray, was baptized May 10th, 1747. Also Huldah, a daughter, baptized December 14th, 1760. Hannah, October 3rd, 1762; and Sarah, June 17th, 1764. James Gray, only son of Daniel, married Mabel Phinney, February 9th, 1764. Their children were: Jesse, baptized April 14th, 1765.


John Griffin appears in Redding as early as 1736. His children were: Sarah, baptized May 9th, 1736. Annie, baptized October 22nd, 1738; and Jonathan, baptized November 23rd, 1746. He settled in West Redding, near the Danbury line.


The Halls were among the earliest settlers in Redding, the name appearing on the earliest petitions from the parish. In 1730, at the distribution of the estate of Samuel Hall, he is said to be of Chestnut Ridge, in Redding. His children as given were: Ebenezer, Johanna, Jemina, and Rebecca. Isaac Hall, whose farm lay contiguous to Samuel's, was one of the original church-members, and was recommended by Rev. Mr. Chapman. He died in 1741. Asa Hall and Rachel his wife were admitted March 23rd, 1736, on the same recommendation. I find no mention of children.


Joseph Hawley and wife were admitted church-members in December, 1740, on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Gold, of Stratford. Their children recorded were: Mary, baptized February 7th, 1742. Ruth, November 5th, 1746. Eunice, October 25th, 1750. Joseph Hawley died December 12th, 1771, aged sixty-six years. William Hawley, who appears in Redding as early as 1762, was probably his son. He lived where James Miller now lives; married Lydia, daughter of Captain Thomas Nash, of Fairfield, July 12th, 1758. Their children were: Lydia, died in infancy. Joseph, born June 23rd, 1762; settled in Redding. Lydia, born December 13th, 1763; married Aaron Sanford, of Redding. William, died in infancy. Bille, born February 9th, 1767, removed to the West. Hezekiah, died in infancy. Hezekiah, born March 10th, 1772. Lemuel, died young, of smallpox. William Hawley, died February 16th, 1797. Mrs. Lydia Hawley died April 26th, 1812.


The founder in America of this family was William Hill, who on his arrival here about 1632 settled first at Dorchester, Mass. and shortly after removed to Windsor, on the Connecticut River, where he bought land and set out an orchard. At an early day he removed to Fairfield, and was among the early settlers of that town. He died in 1650. His children were: Sarah, William, Joseph, Ignatius, James, and Elizabeth. William, the second child, married Elizabeth (last name unknown). Their children were: Sarah, William, Joseph, John, Eliphalet, Ignatius, and James. William, the third, married (name unknown), and had children, Sarah, William, Joseph and David. William Hill, the fourth, married Sarah (last name unknown). Their children were: Joseph, William, and David.

Deacon Joseph Hill, born April 1st, 1699; married Abigail Dimon on March 30th, 1731. The children of this marriage were: Abigail, born March 21st, 1733. David, born April 22nd, 1737. Ebenezer, born February 26th, 1742. Jabez, born June 17th, 1744. Moses, born January 11th, 1748. Of the sons, only Ebenezer, Jabez, and Moses married. Ebenezer married Mabel Sherwood January 17th, 1765. Their children were: David, Ebenezer, Seth, Dimon, Joseph, Mabel, Eleanor, Jabez, and Esther. Ebenezer, his second son, married Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Barlow, brither of the poet, May, 1791. He removed to Redding early in life, and settled in the Boston district. His children were: Mabel, Nathaniel B., Gershom, Ebenezer, Moses, and Jabez.

Jabez Hill, son of Deacon Joseph Hill, settled in Weston; was a major in the army of the Revolution; married Sarah, daughter of Colonel John Read settled in Redding. The children of this marriage were: Sarah, John Read, and Moses. Sarah married Timothy Platt, of Redding. John Read setled in Redding at an early day, and became one of its wealthiest and best knonwn residents. He began his business career by engaging in the manufacture of lime  as before narrated, and on his retirement in 1823 purchased the "manor" of his grandfather, Colonel Read, where he continued to reside until his death in 1851. He married, March 23rd, 1799, Betsy, daughter of Aaron Sanford, of Redding. Their children were: Aaron Sanford, Moses, William Hawley, Betsy, John Lee, Morris, Lydia, and Joseph.

Moses Hill, son of Deacon Joseph Hill, married Esther, daughter of Ebenezer Burr, of Fairfield, June 17th, 1773. The children by this marriage were: William, Abigail, and Esther. William married Betsey, daughter of Nathaniel Barlow, brother of the poet, and had children, Bradley, Abigail, Horace, Burr, and William.


In Revolutionary days and before, Squire Heron lived in the now ancient house on Redding Ridge, just south of the Episcopal church. He was a native of Cork, Ireland; a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin; and a man of much ability and force of character. It is said that he taught the Academy in Greefield Hill before coming to Redding, and had also surveyed the old stage route from New York to Boston. I cannot determine the precise date of his arrival here, but it was some time prior to the Revolution. In that memorable struggle he sided with the king, and was the recognized leader of the company of Tories on Redding Ridge. At the time of Tryon's invasion he openly gave aid and comfort to the enemy. After the war he became a prominent character in the town, and although somewhat bigoted, and imbued with the Old World notions of caste and social distinctions, is said to have exercised a great deal of influence in public affairs, especially at town meetings. "We must keep down the underbrush" was a favorite remark of his in speaking of the common people. The following story, illustrating in a marked manner the customs of the day, is related of him:

At one of the annual town meetings Mr. Hezekiah Morgan, a somewhat illiterate man, was nominated for grand juror. Squire Heron, in laced waistcoat, ruffles, and velvet breeches, and aiding himself with his gold-headed cane, arose to oppose the motion. "Mr. Moderator," said he, "who is this Kier Morgan? Why, a man brought up in Hopewell woods: he fears neither God, man, nor the devil. If elected, who will be responsible for his acts? Will you, Mr. Moderator? or I? Why, sir, he can arrest anybody: he can arrest your Honor, or even myself;" and with like cogent reasons succeeded in defeating the obnoxious candidate.

Squire Heron died January 8th, 1819, aged seventy-seven years, and is buried in the old Episcopal churchyard on Redding Ridge. His children were: William, Maurice, Elizabeth, Lucy, Elosia, Margaret, and Susan. William never married. He lived on the old homestead in Redding all his days, and was a man much respected in the community. His brother, Maurice graduated at Yale College, and shortly after was killed by a steamboat explosion on the Connecticut River, near Essex.


The Hull family are recorded in the Herald's Distinction of Devon as a very ancient family of Devonshire, but the original name, De La Hulle, in Shropshire, in the reign of Edward II., indicates that they went from the Continent to England, probably from Normandy. Shortly after the Pilgrams landed in Plymouth, five brothers named Hull came to Massachusetts from England, viz., John, George, Richard, Joseph, and Robert.

George, who was the ancestor of the Hulls of Redding, appears in Dorchester, Mass., in 1630; removed to Windsor, Conn., and afterward to Fairfield; died in August, 1659. His will, dated August 25, 1659, mentions sons: Josias and Cornelius, and several daughters. His son Cornelius married Rebecca, daughter of Rev. John Joanes, the first minister of Fairfield, who was of Welsh origin. His will, of the date September 16, 1695, mentions three sons, Samuel, Cornelius, and Theophilus; and three daughters, Rebecca, Sarah, the wife of Robert Stillman, and Martha, wife of Cornelius Stratton. The children of Cornelius were: George, Sarah, Rebecca, Nathaniel, Ebenezer, Elizabeth, John, Martha, Eleanor, and Cornelius. Deacon George Hull was one of the fathers of the infant settlement. He was the moderator of the first parish meeting, a member of the first parish committee, and first deacon of the church in Redding. He also appears on numerous committees. He and his wife, and Theophilus and wife were among the original church members in 1733. John Hull was admitted April 18, 1736. All of them removed here from Greenfield Hill. George, Ebenezer, and Cornelius must have come to Redding prior to 1733, for their names appear in a petition to fix upon a site for a meeting-house in 1725. By a deed dated Danbury, May 19, 1729, a tract of land lying in Chestnut Ridge, between Danbury and Fairfield, is conveyed to George Hull and heirs by Jonathan Squires.

George Hull 's children recorded in Redding are: Seth, baptized July 29, 1733; and Rebecca, May 25, 1735. He died February 9th, 1769, aged 83. Seth Hull married Elizabeth Mallory, his niece. Children recorded in Redding are: Abigail, born January 28th, 1762; Jonathan, October 25, 1763, Eliphalet, December 18, 1765; Walter, November 21, 1767; Lazarus, January 16, 1770; Hezekiah, March 24, 1792; and Martha, April 28, 1794. Besides these were Elizabeth and Sarah; Martha married David Belden, an Episcopal clergyman; Jonathan married Eunice Beach, and was the father of Rev. Lemuel B. Hull, former rector of Christ Church in Redding. Seth Hull died April 5, 1795.

Nathaniel Hull was born in 1695, and reared Sarah, Elizabeth, Esther, Stephen, Nathaniel, Peter, Ezekiel, David, Aaron, Silas, and Hannah.

The children of Silas Hull were: Hannah, Huldah, and Bradley. Bradley's children were: Burr, Pamelia, Charry, Silas, Aaron B., Charles, Mary, Bradley H., Chapman, Le Grand, and Cornelia.

The children of Ebenezer were: Daniel, Ebenezer, Nehemiah, and Abigail. Daniel married Mary Betts, and removed from Redding to Berlin, Rensselaer County, N.Y., in 1770, and was one of the first settlers of that town. He died August 26, 1811, aged 89 years. He had ten children, ciz., Martha, Hezekiah, Justus, Abagail, Peter, Esther, Daniel, Stephen, Harry, and Ebenezer.

Of these children all but the two last named were born in Redding. Justus was one of the first ministers of the Second Baptist Church in Danbury, and is reputed to have been a preacher of more than ordinary ability. He was in the minister fifty-six years, and died at Berlin, N.Y., May 29, 1833, at the age of 78. His children were: Justus P. Emmerson, Polly Ann, and Alonzo Grandison. The last named is a physician, and resides in New York. He was a successful practitioner in London twelve years. Ebenezer married and emigrated to the West. his descendants reside in Iowa, Nebraska, and other Western states. Nehemiah died a bachelor.

John Hull removed to Redding when in middle life. He went with the Provincial troops in the expedition against Cuba in 1641, and fell victim to the yellow-fever with nearly a thousand others of the sturdy sons of New England. He directed that his musket, carried in the wars, should be sent home to his eldest son Timothy; he to leave it to his eldest son, and that it should descend in this manner to the eldest son as long as it existed. Thus it has fallen in regular descent to Aaron B. Hull, of Danbury, the great grandson of the original owner. Before enlisting, Mr. Hull made his will, dated September 16, 1740, in which he mentions sons Timothy, James, and John, and daughters Anna, Abagail, and Esther. Timothy was born September 4, 1726, and married Anna, daughter of John Gray, December 14, 1749. He died April 29, 1800. His children were Hannah, born July 27, 1751, married Samuel Mallory, and died in Danbury, September 4, 1836. Sarah, born February 5, 1754, married John Fairchild and emigrated West. Ezra, born April 5, 1756, and died in Redding, March 5, 1837. He settled in Boston school district. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Onesimus Coley. His children were: Eunice, born July 6, 1785, married Hiram Jackson; died in Kingston, N.Y., May 3, 1862. Laura, born August 4, 1788, married John Eckert, and died in Springfield, Otsego County, N.Y., November 17, 1865. Polly, born November 29, 1798, died in Kingston, N.Y., September 28, 1876. Elizabeth, the wife of Ezra Hull, died February 28, 1809; he married Widow Mary Bradley, daughter of Gershom Banks, of Fairfield, June 20, 1810; she died in Wilton, April 17, 1854. The children of this marriage were: Ezra Bradley and Charles, who both died young, and Aaron B.

Ezra Hull served in the Revolutionary War, and participated in those events which transpired during Governor Tryon's expedition to and the burning of Danbury. Eunice, fourth child of Timothy Hull, was born August 26, 1757, married George Perry and removed to Kentucky. John, born June 26, 1759, married Sarah Fairchild; died April 7, 1838. (His children were Aaron, Ezekiel, Hezekiah, Abraham, and Polly.) Abraham, born March 30, 1761, died in Danbury, October 29, 1831. David, born March 22, 1763, died in Redding, March 19, 1847; he married Chloe Lee, and had children, Daniel, Harry, and Lucy. Samuel, born June 22, 1766. (He married Anna Wakeman, and had a daughter Eliza, who married Horace Staples, President of the Westport National Bank. Samuel Hull died in Redding, July 19, 1846.) Hezekiah, born October 22, 1769, died in Danbury, July 26, 1852. Anna, born December 7, 1771, married Lemuel Burr; died in Redding, December 20, 1840. Abigail, born November 17, 1775, married Timothy Perry; died in Miamisburg, Ohio, March 16, 1844.

The will of James, the second son of John Hull, of the date of April 26, 1799, mentions no children. He died February 20, 1805, in the seventy-seventh year of his age. John married Mollie Andrews, February 3, 1763. His children recorded are Eleanor and Mollie. His will, bearing date June 24, 1815, mentions no children, but names his "grandson John Goodyear, and the son of his grandson Hull Goodyear;" also two other names not given, but which were undoubtedly Munson Goodyear and Ellen, wife of Harry Meeker.

Cornelius, the youngest son of Cornelius Hull, 2d, and Abagail, daughter of robert Rumsey, were married August 24, 1731. Their children were: Jedediah, Eunice, Grace, Eliphalet, Abigail, Sarah, and Ruey. Jedediah Hull was second lieutenant under Colonel David Wooster in the army which invaded Canada in 1758. His children were: Denny, Eunice, Chapman, Molly, Cornelius, and Jedediah. Denny and Chapman settled in Redding. The children of the first named were: Mary, Denny, Isaac Platt, and Eunice. Chapman's were: Morris, Henry C., and George.

The will of Theophilus Hull, of Fairfield, the youngest son of Cornelius, 1st, dated June 4, 1710, gives the names of sons Theophilus, Eliphalet, John, and Jabesh, and two daughters, Mary and Ann. Theophilus, his oldest son, married Widow Martha Betts, of Redding, January 25, 1759. His will, of the date December 1, 1785, names son Zalmon, and daughters Sarah and Lydia. Zalmon's sons were: Hezekiah, Theophilus B., Henry L., and his daughters, Lydia and Sally.

The Redding records contain the marriage of Nehemiah Hull and Grizzle Perry, February 5, 1767. Nehemiah, probably a son of the above, married Sarah Jackson. Twin children were born to them, December 7, 1792, and were named Sally Betsey, and Betsey Sally. The first named married Theophilus B., son of Zalmon Hull, and the other Morris, son of Chapman Hull.

More Hull information is listed here.


Ephraim Jackson and his wife Martha removed to Redding from Greens Farms, Fairfield, in 1748, and were admitted church-members the same year. He died April 28, 1765, aged sixty-five years. The children of his son, Ephraim Jackson, were as follows: aaron, baptized November 12, 1767. Mollie, baptized July 23, 1769. Peter, September 8, 1771. Hezekiah, February 27, 1774.

David Jackson appears in Redding as early as 1763; was probably son of Ephraim; married November 18, 1762, Anna Sanford. Their children were: Ezekiel, baptized October 23, 1763. David, February 2, 1766. Anna, September 30, 1770; died in infancy. Anna, September 14, 1772; and by a second wife, Esther, Moses, baptized December 11, 1774; perhaps others. Ezekiel, son of David, married Hannah Gray, April 30, 1786 (Town record). Their children were: Anna, born December 21, 1786. Hiram, born April 22, 1788. Samuel, born December 29, 1789. Clarissa, born December 25, 1792. Laura, born February 28, 1794. Harriet, born December 18, 1795. Harriet married Gideon H. Hollister, of Woodbury, and became the mother of Judge Gideon H. Holister, the historian of Connecticut.


William Lee and wife were admitted church members May 23, 1742. Their children recorded were: Daniel, baptized January 8, 1744. Abijah, baptized September 21, 1745. Abigail, baptized May 5, 1748. William, baptized April 5, 1753. Seth, baptized March 23, 1755.

Joseph Lee and wife admitted May 8, 1737. Their daughter Mary was baptized May 8, 1743.


Among the original members of the church at its organization in 1733 appear the names of Daniel Lion and wife, of Benjamin Lion and wife-recommended by Rev. Mr. Gay-and Richard Lion and wife. All settled in the south-eastern part of the town, near what is now the Easton line. The record of their families is as follows: Children of Daniel were: Jonathan, baptized April 12, 1741. Children of Benjamin were: Bethel, baptized May 29, 1733. John, baptized August 22, 1736. Samuel, baptized August 20, 1738. Phebe, baptized February 24, 1740. Richard Lion died in January 1740, aged eighty-seven years.


David Lord was admitted church-member in 1744, recommended by Rev. Mr. Parsons, of Lyme. His children were: David, baptized July 8, 1744. Elizabeth, baptized March 5, 1749.


Jonathan Mallory and wife were admitted church-members December 22, 1735, on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Chapman. She was Elizabeth Adams. They were married April 10, 1735. Their children were: Jonathan, baptized January 11, 1736. Eliza, baptized December 17, 1738.

Peter Mallory married Joanna Hall February 28, 1737. Children were: Rebecca, baptized February 5, 1738; died in infancy. Rebecca, baptized January 13, 1739. Ebenezer Mallory and Hannah Keys were married February 6, 1744. No children found. Daniel Mallory and Sarah Lee were married November 30, 1748. Their children were: Daniel, baptized October 25, 1750. Nathan, August 25, 1754. Abigail, April 24, 1757. Sarah, May 15, 1763. Joseph, baptized February 12, 1767. Eunice, daughter of Daniel Mallory, Jr., and his wife Rachel, was baptized September 5, 1779. Samuel and Charles Mallory were born April 6, 1780. The names of the parents are not given. Charles Mallory was the father of Stephen Mallory, United States Senator from Florida, and later Secretary of ther Confederate Navy.


Stephen Meade, the first of the name in Redding, appears as early as 1755. He married Rachel Sanford, daughter of Ephraim Sanford. Their children were: Jeremiah, born March 22, 1752. Ezra, baptized January 19, 1755. Hannah, baptized May 9, 1756. Esther, baptized August 17, 1760. Thaddeus, baptized October 25, 1761. Stephen, baptized January 24, 1768. Stephen Meade is called Lieutenant and Captain in the records. He was a man quite prominent in town affairs; was elected the first clerk of the town at its organization in 1767, and held other important offices. He lived in the centre, on the site of the present residence of Thomas Sanford.


Benjamin Meeker and wife were admitted church-members June 4, 1747. She was Catherine Burr. They were married July 20, 1745. Their children were: Witely, baptized June 7, 1747. Esther and Eunice, baptized August 13, 1755. Azariah, baptized February 5, 1769. Daniel Meeker married Sarah Johnson, July 10, 1744. Their children were: Elnathan baptized July 26, 1747. Jared, baptized January 29, 1749. Rebecca, baptized January 20, 1751. Lois, baptized March 28, 1753. Josiah, baptized July 17, 1757.

About the same time appear David Meeker and Robert Meeker. The former married Hannah Hill October 31, 1744. The latter Rebecca Morehouse, September 19, 1746. I find no record of children. Joseph Meeker appears as early as May 4, 1735, when his son Isaac was baptized.


Gurdon Merchant married Elinor Chauncey (probably of Fairfield), December 9, 1747. Their children were: Amelia, baptized February 5, 1749. Chauncey, February 25, 1753. John, baptized August 31, 1755. Elinor, January 8, 1758. Gurdon, March 16, 1760. Joel, June 6, 1762. Phebe, May 20, 1764. Silas, May 8, 1766. Gurdon Merchant was the first town treasurer, and held other offices of trust. The family figures quite prominently in the later history of the town.


Gershom Morehouse and wife were admitted memebers of the church May 8, 1737, on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Hobart, of Fairfield. Also, Jonathan Morehouse, July 5, 1741. I find no children of Gershom Morehouse recorded in Redding. The Gershom Morehouse who married Anna Sanford January 18, 1748, was probably his son. The children of the seconf Gershom Morehouse were: Ezra, baptized April 28, 1754. Billie, baptized July 18, 1756, Aaron, baptized June 4, 1758. Jane, baptized November 4, 1760. Ann, baptized June 19, 1764. Hill, baptized May 5, 1765. Lucy, baptized July 12, 1767. Betty, baptized August 6, 1769. Elizabeth Ruth, baptized November 10, 1771. Polly, baptized May 15, 1774 (may have died). Polly, baptized May 15, 1777.

The children of Jonathan Morehouse were: Joanna and Mary, baptized April 13, 1738. Hannah, baptized June 3, 1739. Elijah, baptized March 11, 1742. Phebe, baptized May 27, 1744. Ruth, baptized June 14, 1747.


Ebenezer Perry removed to Redding, probably from Stratford, in 1735, in which year he was admitted church-member. His children were: John, baptized May 10, 1741. Ebenezer, baptized June 12, 1743.

Daniel Perry, son of Joseph Perry and Deborah Burr, of Fairfield, removed to Redding about 1770, and settled in the south-western part of the town. He married, first, Mary, daughter of Peter Sturgis, of Fairfield, and second, Sarah Wilson. His children, all by the second wife, were: Grissel, born February 10, 1745-6. Daniel, born April 15, 1747. John, born December 30, 1748. Deborah, born October 8, 1750. George, born November 26, 1752. Isaac, born November 3, 1754. Thomas, born February 21, 1757. Of the sons, two at least, Daniel and John, settled in Redding. Daniel married, February 19, 1772, Elizabeth Gorham, of Greenfield. His children were: Timothy, baptized January 10, 1773. Isaac, baptized August 23, 1778.


Timothy Platt was admitted a church-member May 10, 1741, on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Chapman. But one child is found-Abigail, baptized April 8, 1736; married Nathaniel Hull May 28, 1754 (Nathaniel and Abigail Hull had moved to Ulster Co., NY by the time of the Revolutionary War where Nathaniel was in the 3rd and 4th Regiments of the Ulster Co. Militia). He was probably father of the Timothy Platt who married the sister of John R. Hill, and settled in Lonetown, on the farm now owned by Henry Adams. Obadiah Platt, who appears in Redding as early as 1737, and Jonas Platt, who with his wife Elizabeth were admitted church-members February 5, 1749, were probably his brothers. Timothy Platt died December 5, 1769, aged sixty-two years. The children of Obadiah Platt were: Mary, baptized February 20, 1737. Elizabeth, May 15, 1739.

Jonas Platt married Elizabeth Sanford, October 17, 1747. Their children were: John, baptized February 5, 1752. Daniel, August 11, 1754. Eunice, May 30, 1756. He removed to New York.

Hezekiah Platt appears in Redding as early as April 4, 1762, when his son Justus was baptized. His other children recorded were: Hezekiah, January 16, 1764. William, May 18, 1766. Griswold, December 1, 1767. Robert, September 1, 1771.


Mr. John Read, perhaps the earliest settler of Redding, was one of the most eminent men of his day. He was born in Connecticut in 1680, graduated from Harvard College in 1697, studied for the ministry, and preached for some time at Waterbury, Hartford, and Stratford. He afterward studied law, and was admitted an attorney at the bar in 1708, and in 1712 was appointed Queen's attorney for the colony. In 1714 he bought of the Indians a large tract of land in Lonetown and settled there. He continued to reside in Redding until 1722, when he removed to Boston, and soon became known as the most eminent lawyer in the colonies. He was Attorney-General of Massachusetts for several years, and also a member of the Governor and Council.

He died in February, 1749, leaving a large estate. His wife was Ruth Talcott, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel John Talcott, of Hartford, and sister of Governor Joseph Talcott. They had six children: Ruth, born (probably) in Hartford in 1700; died in Redding, August 8, 1766. She was the wife of Rev. Nathaniel Hunn, first pastor of the church in Redding. They were married September 14, 1737. John, born in Hartford in 1701; lived in Redding at the "Lonetown Manor" and was a leading man in his day in the colony; was much in public life, both civil and military, and was noted for his public spirit, patriotism, and piety. He married twice. His first wife was Mary (last nme unknown), a Milford lady. His second wife was Sarah Bradley, of Greenfield Hill. His children were: William, who married Sarah Hawley, of Redding. Zalmon, who married Hulda Bradley, of Greenfield. Hezekiah, who married Anna Gorham. John, who married Zoa Hillard. Mary, wife of John Harpin. Sarah, wife of Jabez Hill, and afterward of Theodore Monson. Ruth, wife of Jeremiah Mead. Deborah, wife of Thomas Benedict, a lawyer. Mabel, wife of Levi Starr; and Esther, wife of Daniel C. Bartlett, son of Rev. Nathaniel Bartlett. One of his children, a lad of four years, fell into a burning coal pit in 1739, and was so badly burned that he survived but a few hours. His father wrote a letter to his father in Boston, informing him of the meloncholy event, and his father sent back a letter in reply. Both of the letters are yet preserved, after a period of one hundred and forty years, and are both remarkable for the piety and Christian resignation manifested in them.

William, born in Connecticut about 1710, was a lawyer in Boston, and afterward a judge in several of the courts there. He lived a bachelor, and died in 1780, aged seventy-years. Mary, born (probably) in Reading, Conn., April 14, 1716; married Captain Charles Morris, of Boston, afterward of Halifax, Nova Scotia, where he was for many years chief justice of the courts. They had nine sons and two daughters. Abigail married Joseph Miller, of Boston. Deborah married a Mr. Willstead, and afterward Henry Paget, of Smithfield, Rhode Island.

To the above sketch by Mr. George Read, of Boston, I will add that Colonel John Read, son of the Mr. John Read mentioned, appears as one of the original members of the first society in 1729, and was the Colonel John Read so often referred to in the town records. His "manour" comprised nearly all of what is now Lonetown, and his manor-house stood on the exact site of Mr. Aaron Treadwell's present residence. He had a fenced park, in which he kept deer, nearly opposite the present residence of William Sherwood.

Mr. George Read, of Redding Centre, has a very interesting collection of old papers belonging to the colonel, such as wills, deeds, account-books, etc... In one of them directions are given his men about feeding the deer, letting the cattle into the long meadow, etc... Another is Mr. Read's commission as colonel, and is of sufficient interest to warrrant its insertion here. It is as follows:

Thomas Fitch Esq., Governor and Commander in chief of his Majesty's Colony of Connecticut in New England.

To John Read Esq., Greetings.
Whereas you are appointed by the General Assembly of said Colony to be Colonel of the fourth Regiment of Horse in said Colony. Reposing special trust and confidence in your Loyalty, courage, and good conduct, I do by these presents constitute and appoint you to be Colonel of said Regiment. You are therefore to take the said Regiment into your care and charge as their Colonel, and carefully and dilligently to discharge that care and trust in ordering and exercising of them, both officers and soldiers in arms according to the rules and discipline of war, keeping them in good order and government, and commanding them to obey you as their colonel for his Majesty's service, and they are to conduct and lead forth the said Regiment, or such part of them as you shall from time to time receive orders for from me, or from the Governor of this Colony for the time being, to encounter, repel, pursue, and destroy by force of arms, and by all fitting ways and means, all his Majesty's Enemies who shall at any time hereafter in a Hostile manner, attempt or enterprise the invasion, detriment, or annoyance of this Colony. And you are to observe and obey such Orders and Instructions as from time to time you from me, or other your Superior Officiers, pursuant to the trust hereby reposed in you and the laws of this Colony. Given under my hand and the seal of this Colony, in New Haven, the 3rd Day of November, in the 31st year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Second, King of Great Britain and Annoque Doms. 1757.

By his Honour's Command.

Thos. Fitch
George Wyllys. Secty.


James Rogers was a prominent man in his day, and filled many responsible offices in town. He appears as early as 1762. His children were: Joseph, born October 31, 1762. Chloe, born October 24, 1766. James, born April 28, 1768. Haron, born August 22, 1770.


Joseph Rumsey appears in Redding as early as 1747. His will, dated December 27, 1754, mentions his wife, Sarah, and children: Isaac, Sarah, Joseph, Daniel, William, and Ephraim.

The will of Daniel Rumsey, of Redding, probated March 10, 1761, mentions his father Robert, brother John Rumsey and Seth Hull.

John Rumsey settled in Redding. His children by wife Esther were: Abigail, baptized February 19, 1751. Rachel, baptized February 25, 1753. Mary, June 5, 1755. Nathan, August 8, 1756. David, January 28, 1759. Mary, June 15, 1761. Esther, May 13, 1764. Eben, February 4, 1768. Isaac Rumsey married Abigail St. John, May 23, 1761. Children were: Abigail, born December 25, 1761. Jeremiah, born May 23, 1762. Ruth, December 29, 1763. Noah, born March 28, 1768.


The Sanford family is one of the oldest and most numerous in the town, having been founded by four persons of the name, who removed here from Fairfield when the country was first opened to settlers. The names of these four settlers were: Nathaniel, Lemuel, Samuel, and Ephraim.

The first two were original members of the church; the last two joined it during the first year of its existence, viz., in 1734. According to Savage, Ephraim Sanford, who settled in Milford, and married Mary Powell, of New Haven, in 1669, had children, Mary, Samuel, Ephraim, Thomas, Nathaniel, and Zacariah. Samuel, Ephraim, and Nathaniel, are no doubt identical with those who settle in Redding, as they were elderly men with families when they removed here.

According to the above mentioned authority, Ezekiel, eldest son of the above Thomas Sanford, was freeman in 1669 and died in 1683, leaving a widow, Rebecca and children, Ezekiel, Thomas, Sarah, Mary, Rebecca, Martha, and Elizabeth. Ezekieh, eldest son, was an English engineer, and had charge of the erection of the stockade fort at Saybrook at the mouth of the Connecticut River, for protection against Indians. He afterward removed to Fairfield, and built the first grist mill in the county, at Mill River, for which he received a large grant of land from the English Government. In his will dated January 29, 1729, mentions two sons, Lemuel and Ezekiel. Lemuel settled in Redding, as above stated. Thomas Sanford, father of Ezekiel and Ephraim, was the first of the name in America.

We shall trace the families of these ancestors in Redding in the order of their arrival here. Nathaniel Sanford settled in Umpawaug. His children recorded were: Abel H., baptized March 25, 1733. Ruth, baptized May 12, 1737. Esther, baptized May 27, 1744. I have no futher record of this family.

Lemuel Sanford settled in the centre. He was one of the first committee men in the society, and prominent in public affairs. He married (First name unknown) Squire, of Fairfield. Their children were: Hezekiah, probably born in Fairfield. Sarah, baptized September 19, 1734. Anne, baptized November 1, 1736. Lydia, baptized June 4, 1738. Lemuel, baptized April 20, 1740. Ezekiel, baptized July 4, 1742. Anne, baptized October 7, 1744. Roda, baptized February 26, 1749.
Hezekiah married Hannah (last name unknown), and settled in the centre, on the farm now owned by Mr. Delavan. His children were: Aaron, baptized May 29, 1757. Hannah, baptized August 26, 1759. William, baptized October 14, 1764. Eunice, baptized June 7, 1772. Huldah, baptized May 18, 1777.

Aaron, his eldest son, settled in the centre, and lived in the house now owned by Mrs. Connors. He was the first male member of the Methodist Church in New England, and was the leader of the little class organized in Redding in 1790.
The Methodist preachers in their rounds always found a home with him, and often held their meetings in his house. Later in life he became an acceptable local preacher in that church. He married Lydia Hawley, daughter of William Hawley, November 2, 1780. Their children were: Betsey, born October 5, 1781. Hannah, born May 31, 1784. Aaron, born July 8, 1786. Hawley, born July 16, 1789. Jesse Lee, born July 27, 1791. Eunice, born August 10, 1793. Walter, born February 18, 1796. Charlotte, born January 8, 1800. Lydia, born September 23, 1803. William A., born January 15, 1807.

Aaron Sanford, Jr., settled on Redding Ridge, in the eastern part of the town. He married, December 19, 1813, Fanny Hill, daughter of Andrew L. Hill. Their children were eleven in number: Andrew H., Daniel, Mary, Clara, Henry, Aaron, Fanny, Jesse L., Mary, Elizabeth, John, and Julia H.

Hawley, the second son, married Betsey Stow, November 2, 1814, by whom he had two children, Russell and Betsey. On the death of his wife he married, second, Sarah Ketchum, November 20, 1823. The children of this marriage were: Francis A., Aaron K., Hawley, Lydia, David, Morris, and Mary. Walter, the third son, married December 6, 1821, Harriet M. Booth. They had one son, Charles. Walter Sanford married, second, Emily Gorham. William Sanford, the fourth son, married Harriet Tuttle, May 2, 1832. Of the daughters, Betsy married John R. Hill. Hannah married the Rev. Aaron Hunt, a Methodist clergyman, celebrated in his day as being the first to successfully contest the old colonial law which forbade all ministers except those of the "Standing Order" to perform the marriage ceremony. Mr. Hunt was at one time located and resided for several years in Redding. Charlotte married Thomas B. Fanton. Lydia married Aaron Sanford Hyatt.

Lemuel Sanford, second son of Lemuel Sanford, settled in the centre, near his father. He married, September 20, 1768, Mary Russell, of North Branford, Conn. The circumstances attending his marriage thus narrated: He left Redding on horseback, early in the morning of his wedding day, but was delayed on the road and did not reach Branford until midnight. By that time the wedding guests had dispersed  and the family had retired; but he roused them up, collected the guests, and the ceremony was performed. The next day bride and groom returned to Redding, traveling on horseback. The children of Lemuel and Mary Sanford were: Lemuel, born July 18, 1769. Roda, born March 4, 1773. Mary, born May 18, 1776; married Dr. Thomas Peck. Abigail, born 1779; died in infancy. Jonathan R., born February 11, 1782. Abigail, born April 18, 1784. Lucretia, born May 4, 1786.
Mr. Lemuel Sanford died March 12, 1803, at Danbury, in the performance of his duties as Judge of the County Court, leaving most honorable record. He had filled all the positions of honor and trust in his native town, and during the Revolution had been a member of the Committee of Supply, the duties of which kept him absent in Danbury and Fairfield nearly the whole period of the war. He several times represented the town in the General Assembly, and also held the office of Associate Judge of the County Court.

Lemuel Sanford, eldest son of Judge Sanford, after being educated at President Dwight's famous academy on Greedfield Hill, returned to Redding, married Mary Heron, daughter of Squire Heron, and settled in the centre, on a farm now owned by Albert Gorham. He was a man of much ability, and quite prominent in town affairs. He had but two children, Mary and Abigail.

Jonathan R., the second son, married Maria, daughter of Dr. Thomas Davies, October 17, 1808. Their children were: Amanda, Maria (who died in infancy), Lemuel, Jonathan R., and Thomas. Mr. Jonathan Sanford died August 20, 1858. In1808 Mr. Sanford was appointed town clerk and treasurer, and held those offices until his death, a period of half a century. He also filled the office of Judge of Probate for several years, besides representing his native town at different periods in the State legislature.

Ezekiel, third son of Lemuel Sanford the first, married Abigail Starr November 21, 1773, and settled in Boston district, in the Western part of town. His children were: Mollie, baptized December 18, 1774. Rebecca, baptized April 24, 1777. Ezekiel, baptized November 1, 1778. Abigail, baptized March 19, 1780; perhaps others. He is called Captain in the old records. Some of his descendants are now living in Amenia, N.Y.

Samuel Sanford the first, settled in Umpawaug. He is called Captain in the records. His children were: Daniel, baptized April 22, 1734. Seth, baptized August 23, 1735. Mary, March 19, 1738. David, December 2, 1739. Abigail, January 30, 1743. Samuel, May 5, 1739. Sarah, May 10, 1747. Esther, April 16, 1749. Ezra, March 25, 1751. Rachel, Febraury 25, 1753. Captain Samuel Sanford died November 6, 1768, aged sixty-two years.
Daniel married Esther Hull April 18, 1758. Children: Eli, baptized August 16, 1761. Chloe, July 5, 1767. Seth married Rebecca, daughter of Deacon Stephen Burr, April 25, 1759. Her children, as named in Deacon Burr's will, 1776, were: Elias, Ebenezer, Joel, Elijah, Samuel, and Seth. Mary married Timothy Sanford, son of Joseph. Abigail, married John Hawley December 21, 1762. Samuel, Jr. married Sarah Olmstead July 23, 1767. His children recorded were: Uriah, baptized February 14, 1768. Thomas, December 17, 1769. Peter married Abigail Keeler June 1, 1780.

Ephraim Sanford the first, settled Sanfordtown, and was a large land owner there, as is shown by several deeds now in the possession of his descendants, some of which date back as far as 1733. His children by his wife Elizabeth Mix, according to the parish record, were: Rachel, baptized July 29, 1733. Abigail, baptized May 18, 1735. John, baptized April 29, 1739. Oliver, September 20, 1741. Lois, September 17, 1743. Huldah, May 5, 1748. Augustus, July 15, 1753. Esther, April 27, 1755. His will, dated January 30, 1761, mentions also Ephraim, Elizabeth, and Tabitha. Ephraim Sanford, according to the family tradition, was the first man having a store of goods in Redding. His goods were brought from Boston. Of his children, Abigail married Daniel Jackson October 2, 1755. John married and settled in the Foundry district, in Redding. His children were: James, Stephen, Ephraim, John, Eli, Huldah, Lois, Betty, Elizabeth, and Annie. James, the eldest son, settled in the Foundry district, near his father. He was a teamster in the Revolutionary army, and was present at the execution of Jones and Smith on Gallows Hill. He married Sarah, daughter of John Beach, the faithful missionary of the Church of England. He was the father of Squire James Sanford. John, Jr. the fourth son of John Sanford, settled in Redding, and was the father of John W. Sanford, a well known citizen.

Oliver Sanford, son of Ephraim, married in April 1767, Rachel, daughter of Deacon David Coley, of Weston. Their children were: Mary, baptized July 31, 1768. David, August 20, 1769. Ephraim, September 15, 1771. Abigail, May 29, 1774. Enoch A., April 28, 1776. Levi, December 14, 1777. Oliver C., Abigail, Mary, Betsey, and Lorraine.


Anna, daughter of Samuel Smith, of Redding, was baptized July 6, 1740; and Seth Samuel, son of Samuel and Lydia Smith, September 28, 1760. The latter was the first lawyer who located in Redding. He had an office in the centre, where also he kept a select school. He was town clerk for a term of years, and wrote a most elegant hand, as will be remembered by those familar with the records of his times. He also filled many other important positions in the town. He married Huldah (last name unknown). Their children were: Zalmon, baptized February 3, 1780.


Robert Stow, the first of the name in Redding, settled in Lonetown, on the farm now owned by his grandson, Sumner Stowe. He married Anne Darrow, January 26, 1775. Their children were: Daniel, born July 4, 1779. Abigail, born April 11, 1776; married Israel Adams. Sarah, born October 4, 1777. Sarah, born August 11, 1781. Sumner, born September 17, 1783. Huldah, born Febraury 6, 1787; married Andrew Andrus, of Danbury. Abraham, born March 4, 1792. Polly, born September 20, 1794; married Moses Parsons, of Newtown. Robert Stow died November 5, 1795. Daniel Stow married Lucy Hoyt, of Bethel, and settled in Redding, near his father. His children were: Robert, Almira, Sarah, Harriet, Lucy, Sumner, Mary, and Polly. Abraham settled in Bethel. Sumner died when a young man.

Other Early Families

Other settlers in the town at an early date, but who do not appear to have been permanent residents, were: Daniel Bradley, Thomas Williams, Thomas and William Squire (of Fairfield), Ebenezer Ferry, George Cowden, Nathaniel Booth, Edmund Sherman, Jonathan Squire, John Whitlock, John Truesdale, Frederick Dikeman, and John Nott.

The families of Byington, Chapman, Hamilton, Knapp, Osbourne, Dennison, Bennett, St. John, Gilbert, Johnson, Abbott, Duncomb, Edmonds, Olmstead, Rider, Treadwell, and Todd figure in the later records of the town.

Pre-1800 Gravestones of Redding

Naturalization and Immigration Documents


Google Book Search


Back to TOP | Back to Redding Section | Back to Georgetown Section



History of Redding is a not a business or an organization..It's one person working to promote the history of his hometown
and surrounding areas. All costs are out-of-pocket so donations and/or sponsorships will allow me to dedicate more time
and effort to research and updates.