Population 1930: 1,599
School Budget: $9,500
First Selectman: James Driscoll
August 8, 1922-
Mrs. Ruth Dadourian, Exec. Secretary of State League of
Women’s Voters comes to Redding to address Redding League
of Women Voters.
June 22, 1923-
Redding votes to allow baseball games on Sunday.
burns to the ground July 25, 1923.
Hollow/State Highway improved & paved becomes known as
March 10, 1929-
Max Eiser, Jr. of the Metropolitan News Syndicate bought
the 215 acre home of Leon Andrus on Redding Ridge.
improving; Automobile ownership is increasing; Large estates
continue to be purchased by outsiders.
to Mark Twain Library
Gilbert & Bennett
is profiting on porch screens
How they delivered
milk in the 20's. (this isn't Redding or Gtown)
His Aspetuck Valley
business & property condemned by BHC in 1914, Emory P. Sanford
comes to West Redding...E.P. Sanford General Store.
Redding Lime Company-
1920. The earliest recorded Connecticut lime operation dates
to about 1707 in New Milford, where local farmers constructed
kilns for their own use. The oldest commercial manufactory
of lime was started by John Read in Redding around 1722. Read
came to Redding from New Milford.
Old Put Club and
Pond Purchased and Transferred to the State in 1923.
History Spotlight- The Spinning Wheel Inn
May 5th, 1925, a Saturday, Elaine Tottle of Baltimore, MD
opened her doors for Business. 24 customers walked in, looked
around and sat down to be served...this was a great many more
than she had anticipated and they cleaned out the larder;
so much so that Tottle had to scour the country-side to feed
the Sunday guests. The diners must have been pleased, for
more than 5,000 meals were served that first year and the
Spinning Wheel was in business.
Next Decade Redding,
Connecticut from 1930-1940
to 1920 - 1930
Back to TOP
| Back to Redding Section | Back
to Georgetown Section