Georgetown Volunteer Fire Company was organized in May of
1928 by a group of men who realized the need for fire protection
in the community.
first Fire House was a converted horse barn that was given
to the Volunteers by the Gilbert & Bennett Mfg. Co., and
the fire fighting apparatus consisted of a Chevrolet Chemical
Truck and a Peter Pirsh Pumper. In 1939 the Company acquired
a second hand Sayer-Scoville ambulance. By obtaining this
ambulance it became among the first volunteer fire companies
to provide ambulance service in this area. This ambulance
served the community until 1941 when the need was seen for
the purchasing of a new Buick ambulance.
the advent of World War II the company continued to operate
with the equipment mentioned above. Many members saw service
in the Armed Forces. Those who remained at home took active
participation in Civil Defense programs such as: Air Raid
Tests, First Aid, and many of the Volunteers were consistent
February 24, 1946, the Fire Company was struck a disastrous
blow, when the Fire House and all of our apparatus and equipment
was destroyed by fire.
disaster created the immediate need of not only a new fire
house but equipment and apparatus as well. Through the efforts
of the members and the generosity of the people, the Fire
Company was, within a few months, able to purchase an Army
surplus fire truck. By October of 1946, a new Seagrave pumper
was delivered and in July of 1947 a new Buick Ambulance was
delivered and on August 4, 1947 the Company held its first
meeting in the new fire house.
did not end their work. Money loaned had to be repaid, mortgages
and the cost of apparatus and equipment along with the expense
of operating had to be paid also.
public was asked for their support and through various means
such as carnivals, raffles, the selling of fireworks and donations
from the public, we were able to pay off our debts and burn
our mortgage by 1952.
the Flood of 1955 the Fire Company proved to be the major
factor in the work of cleaning up, pumping out cellars and
wells and many other things to help those who were in need.
Many heroic acts were performed by the Volunteers on that
did not stop. As the community continued to grow, so did the
need for more and newer apparatus and equipment. In 1953 they
purchased a 1000 gallon Maxim Tanker. In 1956 they purchased
two-way radios for all apparatus and a base station in the
Fire House. In 1959 a new ambulance replaced that one that
was delivered after the fire. In 1962 the 1946 Seagrave Pumper
was replaced with a new G.M.C. In 1963 they installed in the
Fire House a 30KW automatic generator in order to continue
to operate all of the electrical facilities in the event of
a power failure. In 1963 they purchased "Home Alert"
radios which sound a tone in the homes of fireman who live
in areas where the siren cannot be heard at all times. Also
in 1963 the need for more water at fires induced them to purchase
another 1000 gallon tanker, this being a 1963 G.M.C.
1966 the Company purchased a four wheel drive 750gpm pumper
tanker equipped mainly for grass fires. This truck replaced
the 1946 Ford which had served the community since the old
fire house had burned down. The same year because of the crowded
conditions in the fire house and the prospects of additional
equipment in the near future, a two-bay addition was added
to the fire house. In 1969 they replaced a 1959 ambulance
with a new one.
49 years the fire company was able to operate and purchase
equipment by means of fund raising programs and donations
from the residents of the community. However, with the ever
increasing operation expense and cost of new equipment the
Georgetown Volunteer Fire Company at the annual meeting in
January of 1977 voted to ask the Georgetown Fire District
to exercise its power and levy a fire tax.
November of 1977 a new 1977 Maxim 1000 gallon pumper tanker
was delivered. This new apparatus replaced the worn out 1953
Ford 1000 gallon pumper tanker and was the first fire truck
purchased with moneys raised through a district fire tax.
It is owned by the district but is operated and cared for
by the volunteers.
1978, the 1969 ambulance had logged tens of thousands of miles
and carried many patients, so it was replaced with a new one,
and in 1981 the department received a used 1969 Amry Surplus
3/4 ton 4x4 truck which was placed in service after mounting
a 10kw generator on the top.
Ridgefield Fire Department had purchased a new ladder truck
and they decided to donate their old 1963 ladder truck to
Georgetown. It proved to be a great asset, as it has been
used successfully at numerous incidents since that time.
1985 a new Pierce pumper that would carry 3000 feet of 5 inch
or large diameter hose arrived. The new pumper/hose truck
was delivered to replace the old GMC truck, which held special
significance since the firefighters had spent many hours in
building it it from the frame up.
1988 the new Pierce-Lance pumper was delivered to replace
the 1963 GMC pumper/tanker. This new truck featured the latest
technology in fire fighting, and was literally self sustaining
at any emergency incident, and included jump seats for the
firefighters, on board deck guns, and incline firefighting
foam capabilities. The members of the fire committee spent
many hours determining the specifications of this truck, knowing
that this particular vehicle would be the lead truck and would
be the "heartbeat" at all emergency incidents.
years of consideration, the Department finally decided that
the fire chief should have a command vehicle and this became
a reality in mid-1989. This vehicle is equipped with the latest
communications equipment and is able to handle certain types
of incidents until assistance arrives.
November of 1989 the 1978 Chevrolet ambulance was involved
in a motor vehicle accident during an emergency transport
to Danbury Hospital. Three volumteers were injured, though
not seriously, in that accident. A new ambulance was ordered,
but with a delivery date of July 1990, a used 1983 Ford ambulance
was purchased for interim service several days after the accident
and was used until the new Chevy arrived in October of 1990.
same year the State mandated implementation of 911 Emergency
Telephone Systems. After many years of being dispatched by
the Ridgefield Fire Department, the Georgetown Fire Department
joined with the West Redding Fire Department and Redding Ridge
Fire Departments and the Redding Police Department to create
one central dispatching office located in a new addition to
the Redding Police Department.
this time, the GVFC had grown so much that it became clear
that the fire station would need to be expanded. Since the
firehouse is located such that this expansion would be a one-time
opportunity, the new addition was designed with great care
to attempt to address the future needs of the Fire Company
as well as its immediate needs. The Gilbert and Bennett Manufacturing
Company generously provided architectural services, enabling
the Building Committee to propose a design for the addition.
Ultimately, it became clear that the Fire Company could not
accomplish its goal without the assistance of the Fire District.
Fortunately, the Fire District officials were extremely receptive
as they were experiencing "growing pains" of thier
own. The Fire District joined the Fire company in its efforts,
and the addition was completed in May, 1991. The dedication
ceremony took place in July, 1991.
1998, the new Pierce-Saber pumper was delivered to replace
the 1966 pumper. The Pierce-Saber is an all-wheel drive on
demand unit with a totally enclosed cab for firefighter safety
and rehabilitation. This was the company's first two-stage
pumper. The same year, the outdated 1969 Amry surplus brush
truck was replaced with a 1996 Ford pick up outfitted with
a new pump and water tank, along with tools required to help
fight brush fires. The department also purchased a used delivery
truck and modified it to become a support vehicle, containing
equipment for hazardous materials incidents; traffic control;
mass casualty, and a secondary command post.
2002, after many years of service, the 1990 Chevrolet ambulance
was replaced with a new four wheel drive Ford rig with all
the latest equipment. In order to better serve the community,
the company acquired and trained with a automatic defibrillator,
providing yet another tool in lifesaving. A thermal imaging
camera was added to the arsenal of tools in fire fighting,
enabling the firefighters to see in the dark.
twenty first century started with plans to replace the aging
65-foot Seagaves ladder truck. This 1963 vehicle was given
to the Company by the Town of Ridgefield in 1985. Planning
lasted for almost 2 years, culminating in the purchase of
a 70 plus foot tower truck from Sutphen Corporation, a leader
in manufacturing fire apparatus.
equipment and apparatus are important to serving the community
but they are of no use without someone operating them. This
is why the GVFC has maintained a regular training program
to educate it's firefighters and EMS staff about the latest
techniques and equipment.
has been 75 years since the volunteer fire department of Georgetown
was founded. Congratulations to all the men and women serving
our community- we cannot thank you enough.
of Fire Chiefs
Harold Samuelson 1928-29, Arthur A. Smith 1930-32, Harry V.
Lindstrom 1933, David Wahlquist 1934-36, Albert R. Berger
1937-53, Earl H. Tarrant 1954-55, Stanley Mendick 1956, Wendall
R. Keeler 1957-61, George W. Heibeck Jr 1962-69, Albert P.
Mecozzi 1970-71, Donald E. Heibeck 1972-1978, Jack Sundlof
1979-1984, Mike Heibeck
H. Hunter 1935-39, James C. Driscoll Sr. 1940, Harold Connery
1941-42, 1945, Elmer Mayer 1943, 1946-52, Frank O'Neil 1944,
Joseph Ellis 1946, I.J. Bonsignore 1947, Robert Anderson 1948,
Arthur Carlson 1949, Adolph Mayer 1950, Jasper Bonsignore
1951, Herbert A. Kearns, Jr. 1953, Charles Nessel Sr. 1954,
Louis Nazzaro 1955, C. Bertil Rosendahl 1956, Peter Driscoll
1957, Harry L. Colley 1958, Floyd J. Bouton 1959, George Boete
1960-64, Robert Lanehart 1965, Melvin Redmond 1966-68, Bruce
Davis 1969-1970, Walter F. Okarmus 1971-1975, Earl H. Tarrant
1976, John Palmieri 1977, Bob Mecozzi
Farrell, President; Wanda Mardin, Vice President; Verna Barrett,
Secretary; Bonny Palmieri, Treasurer; Kay Conley, Barbara
Heibeck, Dolores Mecozzi, Betty Robinson, Bea Mills, Helen
Johnson, Terry Soares, Delores Johnson, Cindy Zap, Hazel Heibeck,
Linda Fleming, Verna Barrett, Cheryl Muniz, Terry Lepoutre,
Alison Heibeck, Mary Lynch, Jane Stern, Helen Sabila, Joan
A.G.; Ancona, Joseph; Anderson, Teofif; Banks,
Benjamin B.; Barbour, Harold; Barrett, James;
Bartram, Bradley H.; Bartram, Charles; Batterson,
Wilkie; Bennett, H. Clinton; Bennett, Lansing;
Berger, Albert R.; Berglund, David; Berglund,
Juluis; Berglund, Paul; Berglund, Ruben; Bergstone,
Ragnar; Bouton, Floyd B.; Bouton, Harry; Briggs,
Charles; Butler, Charles; Carlson, Arthur; Carlson,
Harold; Carlson, Hjalmar; Carlson, Victor; Castle,
Howard V.; Churchill, Augustus; Colley, Everett
; Connery, Harold; Connery, James; Connery,
Michael; Drew, George; Driscoll, James C. Sr.;
Durgy, Archie; Englund, Eugene; Flood,
Thomas; Fox, Richard; Fox, Stanley Sr.; Frishman,
Paul; Glans, Charles; Glans, David; Hamalainen,
V.; Hansen, Nils; Hill, R.H.; Hoffman,
Henry; Holmes, Harry; Hughes, Wilfred; Hunter,
William H.; Jaderlund, Howard; Jansen, H.; Jennings,
Floyd C.; Johnson, Axel E.; Johnson, Ivan; Johnson,
Otto; Keeler, Hawley; Kenney, Edward; Koltz,
Everett; Lent, Gordon; Leiberg, Eric; Lindstrom,
Harry V.; Locke, Joseph; Lorenson, Hiram; Mayer,
Edward Sr.; Meyer, Lawis; Miller, Louis P.;
Miller, Samuel J.; Mills, Clifford J. Sr.; McIIwain,
Ralph; Nordlund, Paul; Obie, Edjar; O'Neill,
Frank Sr.; Osborn, Arthur; Osborn, Charles;
Peckham, Herbert; Peterson, Albein; Perkins,
William I.; Perry, Walter H.; Pryor, William;
Rantamen, T.V.; Robie, Wesley; Roggon,
Walter; Rowland, Charles; Salonen, Oscar; Samuelson,
Axel; Samuelson, Harold; Sanservieri, Dominick;
Schieber, George; Shorneck, David; Smith,
Arthur A.; Stiles, Donald; Stiles, Oliver; Stiles,
Wesley; Stotberg, Loretz; Sturges, Frederick
Sr.; Taylor, Leonard B.; Thompkins, Charles;
Vidmark, David; Wahlquist, David; Warwick,
to TOP | Back to Redding
Section | Back to Georgetown